Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I Knew it Would Happen Eventually...

...but in Kindergarten?! Oh, my...

Carson brought home a project a few weeks ago. Attached to the directions was a piece of legal-sized paper divided into three panels. The first panel read, "When I was a baby, I..." The second panel read, "When I was a preschooler, I..." And the third panel read "Now I am a Kindergartner and I..." The directions required that Carson write the rest of the unfinished sentences and that we attach pictures to each panel. Uh-oh.

While we have plenty of preschool and Kindergarten pictures of Carson, the very few baby pictures we have show him sitting on the laps of Chinese nannies. Since his classmates see me in the Library when I volunteer every other Tuesday, I didn't really want to force Carson to answer questions about who those Chinese women were. I had a chat with his teacher...who felt awful for assigning this project. (Is Carson truly the first adopted kid she has taught?!) After brainstorming with Mrs. K, we solved the problem.

Take a peek at Carson's finished project...

When he was a baby...
...he lived in China. When he was a preschooler...
...he joined his forever family. Now that he's a Kindergartner...
...he likes going to school. Project handled gracefully...difficult questions sure to follow close behind.

Uh-oh...

4 comments:

  1. amy LOVES talking about where she was born and is sooooooooo proud! Look at this as a way to show God's love and glory-- and also how we are ALL adopted into God's family. It's funny-- my kids see no difference between adoption and "having" a baby-- they actually only are old enough to remember the adoptions- so going to China for a brother is completely normal to them!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you handled it beautifully Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Great job handling that potentially sticky situation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job mom! I always heard that I was "chosen" growing up and used that line all the time in school if anyone tried to be negative about my being adopted;) I loved to point out that their parents were stuck with them while mine "chose" me! May not have been the most mature way to deal but it still warms my heart to think about! now don't ask me about those pesky family tree projects, that can get me going!

    ReplyDelete