Monday, February 22, 2010

Things are Looking Up in Kindergarten...

Carson got his first official Kindergarten report card on Friday. Gotta admit, I cringed as I looked at it. Well, folks, things are looking up...it really wasn't bad at all!

They don't get "real" grades in Kindergarten, just "Developing," "Meets," or "Exceeds" in the various categories. While he got "Developing" in most aspects of Reading and Writing, he "Meets" in everything else! Yeah, Carson!

Mrs. K's comments were also very promising:

"Carson continues to work hard to strengthen his reading and writing. He needs to work on mastering letter ID (he knows 37/52), letter sounds he knows (17/26) and high frequency words, which will help him gain the confidence he needs to be a brave reader/writer!"

...and...

"Carson enjoys the hands-on approach and the use of various manipulatives in math. He has a steady grasp of number sense and continues to strengthen in all areas. He is a quick learner and picks up on new concepts very easily."

...and...

"Carson has been working hard to make good choices. I am looking forward to continued growth and progress over the next semester. We will continue to work on channeling his energy to focus on his work. Thank you for all you do to support his learning at home."

What do I get from all of that? Well, maybe he's not in as much peril in Kindergarten as I originally thought. I actually met with Mrs. K about a month ago to discuss his reading struggles...and she wasn't all that concerned. She even spoke to his ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher and she said Carson is her strongest student. (WHAT?!?!?!)

That meeting...of which Carson had no knowledge...coincided almost directly with the light clicking on in my Little Man's brain. He is remembering letters, sounding out words, getting excited about reading homework...if I knew that's all it would take, I would have met with Mrs. K months ago!

Way to go, Little Man! Mommy and Daddy are proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment