Happy Birthday, Meggie!Seventeen years ago today, I had the pleasure...

...of welcoming my precious firstborn into this world. I was 24 years old (yikes, I was young!) and had no idea of the journey ahead of me as Mommy to this sweet girl we named Megan Elisabeth. (She didn't start going by "Meggie" until Kindergarten.)

It is no exaggeration to say that she has truly been the easiest kid in the world to raise. Despite a few medical issues and hospitalizations in her early childhood, she has always been an easy-going kid with a great attitude who never gave us a lick of trouble. Ever.

Throughout her life (including the many years when we were convinced God's plan was for her to remain an only child), she had many firsts...first tooth, first steps, first day of school, etc...and they never made me sad. Honestly! I secretly chuckled at the Moms who cried as they dragged their kids into school on the first day every year. Why would I cry? Meggie was growing up and having new experiences. I was thrilled for her!

That ends today.
Why? Because tonight, on her 17th birthday, she is working. (She got hired last week at a nearby Subway.) She worked last night and she's also working tomorrow and Thursday. Which means her 17th birthday is coming and going with no fanfare. That makes me sad.

I'm thrilled for her to have a job, to get the feeling of independence that comes with earning her own money. Truly. But I'm not thrilled that her life is suddenly becoming hers. She's calling the shots, deciding how she'll spend her free time. And it's not with me.
Pardon me while I feel sorry for myself.
What makes me even sadder is that she thinks her birthday is no big deal.

Teenager, your birthday is a VERY big deal...it is the anniversary of the day I was blessed to become your Mom. No matter where you are or what you are doing, every June 22nd for the rest of my life will be a big deal.
I love you, Meggie. Happy Birthday!!
Happy Birthday Meggie!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Meggie!! Find some time soon to celebrate your special day. =)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Meggie!!!!! Letting them go is never easy!!!
ReplyDeleteTeresa
I got to meet Sara for the first time a few months before she traveled to bring Carson home, and we've been getting together at least once a year (twice last year). She is so sweet,just like her kids. We'd love to meet you if you've ever in this neck of the woods. I dont post too often but I do check in to see how your kids are growing.
Peggy