Thursday, June 24, 2010

No, I Do NOT Do Facebook!

My sister's house caught on fire when she was VERY pregnant. She posted it on Facebook. Luckily, I speak to my sister frequently and knew about the fire. Some of my sibs were unaware.

My niece graduated from Ohio State University. She posted the invite to the graduation on Facebook. (Or "Spacebook" as my Mom called it.) I had no idea and, obviously, missed her graduation.

Meggie DVR'd The Bachelorette. Her Dad un-DVR'd it to watch a ballgame. Meggie posted her frustration on Facebook. Multiple people at VBS this week knew about it.

Many of my blogging friends have stopped blogging and, instead, are on Facebook. I miss their frequent posts and wish I could see updates on their kiddos.

My friend, Lindee, saw me at VBS on Tuesday and asked me the weirdest question: "Are we friends on Facebook?" My response: "I'm not on Facebook, but we're friends in real life!"

OK, seriously folks, is Facebook some sort of cult?!

Let's just get this on the record. I do NOT do Facebook. To me, it is a social network for teens and a place where I do not belong. Also, I tend to get a bit addicted to all things computer. (I have five e-mail boxes and obsessive-compulsively check them all multiple times daily.) I fear Facebook would swallow up the bit of free time I can carve out for blogging. And, really, do you need to know my Facebook "status"? (I'm fairly boring, actually.)

So, no matter how many of my friends insist I try Facebook, I'm digging in my heels. My little blog is enough for me, thank you. Besides, I'm just not as "hip" as the rest of you...

7 comments:

  1. Join the cult! :-) I am addicted to FB; it's a great way to keep in touch with friends. This weekend, I went to Detroit and saw friends who I hadn't see in years. Thanks to FB, we didn't have to waste time catching up first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey
    Just wanted to say, its not really ALL the teens, its just another way of keeping in touch. Doesnt take as much time as blooger, its easier to post pics, and the events calendar is great. So like Epin, I too am addicted! If you ever come over to the dark side, Look me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you!! I have NO interest in it. If I like someone, I talk to them. I don't need to reconnect with all the people I went to high school with. I still talk to the few I want to ;o) Stay strong you're not the only one abstaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you...and I'm in my early 30's...everyone I know does facebook. I miss everyon's blog updates too! I have a facebook account, but do NOTHING with it. I have a blog, nough said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stay strong. FB will totally gobble up all of the rest of your free time. Sorry, gotta run and check my status!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JOIN THE CULT!!! I have been able to connect with friends that I never would have other wise, friends from the Air Force, from High School, and my Israeli cousins!!! Your missing so much!! I am friends with several of the people who have adopted from Max's orphanage, and of course Lou Ellen! JUST DO IT!!! Miss you guys!

    -Chelsie, Alan, and Max

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how easy it is to put up pictures, little giggles throughout the day, and keep up with everyone! My blog has suffered although I'm trying to keep it up more this summer...especially for my family and friends who aren't on FB! But the posts are not as frequent.

    It's okay to come to the dark side, I promise! Hey, my great aunt is on and she is in her 90s!

    ReplyDelete