Monday, August 23, 2010

College Visit Day...

...and not one picture taken! (Meggie wouldn't allow it.)

Meggie arranged for us to visit two nearby colleges today...both within less than an hour's drive from home, which would allow her to stay in the dorms if she chooses (which I'm encouraging) and still feel close enough to home to not feel stranded.

Gotta tell you, it was weird.

Meggie has had many firsts in her life, but this one is a biggie. First college visit. First inkling into how much different college is than high school. First chance to visit a real dorm and actually wrap her brain around moving away from home. First grown up decision she gets to make for herself. (I refuse to choose her college for her. In fact, I'm encouraging her to set up more visits so she has a good idea of exactly what's out there.)

We visited a campus with 4,000 students and a campus with almost 40,000 students. The differences were night and day. I bought her t-shirts from both schools and tried my best not to influence her one way or the other...but I preferred the smaller school.

As she headed out to have dinner tonight with her best friend, Laura, she was wearing the t-shirt purchased from the smaller school.

Think she made up her mind?!

2 comments:

  1. I went with a smaller school too. But Katie? Nope. Bigger school each time. Yes, each time. She transferred after her freshman year. But both schools are/were less than an hour from home which I like. =)

    I'm starting the college search with Alex now. Heaven help me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just been through all this with Lizzy, I will tell you to enjoy every minute you have through this whole process. You sound like you have a great attitude - these kids put so much pressure on themselves, it really helps when their parents aren't putting additional pressure on them. And I will also tell you, even if she is only an hour away, it's still tough saying goodbye to your first baby!

    ReplyDelete