Monday, September 27, 2010

Mid-Autumn Moon Festival!

Saturday evening, our local FCC group hosted their annual Mid-Autumn Moon Festival at a local farm. I love fall and the weather was absolutely PERFECT this year...cool, breezy, and dry!

Molly started taking Chinese dance two weeks ago and, at her first class, we found out she was going to perform at the Moon Festival! She was SO excited. The dance teacher provided costumes for Molly's class and she loved getting all dressed up!
Of course, not to be left out, Carson wanted his picture taken.
While the dancers practiced...
...Carson tried to be very patient and was so supportive of his little sister. The dancers went out on the deck of the barn to practice...
...and Carson was still concentrating on being patient. After the girls did their dances (Molly did a great job and had fun)...
...the kids sat patiently waiting for story time. After the story of the Autumn Moon Festival was told, we headed back to the deck for what I THOUGHT was going to be a karate demonstration. It ended up being a tai chi demonstration (you know, that slow, stretching stuff?) and Carson was FURIOUS! When he realized there wasn't going to be a karate demo, he stormed down the steps in disgust. So funny! (But I did feel bad for the tai chi dude.)

Trying to make it up to the Littles, we went to the concession stand and ordered a staple of any fall festival...
...funnel cake! Yummy!! We then headed over to visit all the animals...
...and Carson and Molly were super stoked to get to pet the goats, the sheep, and a cow!

When Meggie finished working at the Marketplace, we decided to go on the hayride (which was actually false advertisement...while it was a ride, there wasn't any hay in sight!). The nice lady sitting across from us offered to take a picture of our family.
That is, our family without Daddy. Yeah, Daddy ditched us again this year. (Last year he went to a college football game, this year he had to work.) But still a great pic of me and the kids...and wasn't the sky behind us so cool?

When the ride stopped at the pumpkin patch, they told us the pumpkins would be weighed back at the barn and would cost 40 cents a pound. The lady sitting next to me said her friend picked one on a prior ride and, when they weighed it, it cost her $38! Yikes...that's more money than I brought with me! So, the kids each posed with a pumpkin...
...then we put it back in the patch and got back on the ride! Hey, you don't have to spend money to get a memory, right?!

3 comments:

  1. Love the pic of you and the kids! You guys have the coolest FCC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your group is awesome!! And I think that Molly's shirt says it all (Sassy!?!?!)

    lol!!

    Meggie, Thanks for your sweet comment :) The question is what's there NOT in Iowa??....

    The Bridges of Madison County??

    John Wayne Birthplace?

    Home of Quaker Oats (where Ashton Kutcher worked as a teenager!)

    President Herbert Hoover birthplace?

    Producer of 10% of the United States' Food Supply :)

    Home of the most cooked street in the WORLD (Ripleys) - I've been on it :)

    Bordered by the great Misissippi River.

    Well, and let's face it, we DO have decent shopping - Vonmaur ;)

    You are welcome to visit anytime - you have a place to stay.

    And as far as colleges go, I think the University of Iowa is calling your name!!

    HUGS!!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait...did I read that correctly?? A THIRTY-EIGHT dollar PUMPKIN?? Is it gold-plated?? Does it fly through the air looking for the most sincere pumpkin patch on Halloween?? Does it come with the pies already made and stashed inside?

    Looks like y'all had a wonderful time. Molly sure made an adorable little dancer.

    I'm off to start collecting pumpking seeds. If I can't grow a money tree in the back yard, maybe I can grow some pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete