Saturday, April 9, 2011

Why I Blog...

I started blogging after we got Carson's referral back in 2007. Blogging was a new world for me and I was immediately addicted. (I always wanted to have a diary as a young girl...not sure why I never did.) Something about getting my feelings and pictures on the blog was, I don't know, kinda cathartic for me. A bit like counseling, to tell you the truth. I blogged pictures and stories from China and, when we got home, decided to keep up with it.

When we got Molly's referral, I realized how much of Carson's journey I would have completely forgotten had I not blogged about it in real time. Since I didn't want to forget the details of Molly's adoption journey, the blogging continued. There are many sleepless nights even now when I go back through my old blogs, read the stories again, and cry fresh tears just remembering.

Now that we've had Molly for 20 months (wow, has it only been 20 months?!), I often wonder why I continue to blog. She's pretty acclimated to our family, the "firsts" have pretty much run out, and we're just a boring ole family of five. Who cares about that?

The reality is, a few people do. I have a short list of very dedicated blog readers (some family, some friends, and a whole lot of people I've never even met) who often let me know they enjoy my blog. Some of them even send me e-mails, wondering if I'm OK when the blog hits a dry spell and I don't post for a while. But I don't blog for them.

Sometimes I think that I blog for adoptive (and potentially adoptive) families. When we were preparing to adopt, I read blogs obsessively. I wanted to know what to expect and how things might go for us. The ones that gave off the everything-is-happiness-and-sunshine vibe...well, I didn't really read those for long. I much more appreciated honest, raw, ugly admissions of the realities of adoption. Because (for those of you who haven't adopted), let me tell ya...it is a tough gig. But I don't blog for those adoptive families, either.

I blog for me.

After I hit the "Publish Post" button on my "Thoughtful Thursday" post (below), I immediately wondered if that was the best idea. I had just bared my soul and admitted some pretty yucky things about myself. Most of the time my blog consists of silly pictures and cute stories...but that post was pretty heavy duty.

My fears were confirmed when a woman I've been friends with for a few years left a pretty nasty comment on that blog post. A comment that brought me to tears. (I deleted the comment, in case you were wondering.) No, that woman has not adopted a child, from China or otherwise. But she had such a strongly negative reaction to that blog post -- and, apparently, to other things I've posted on here -- that it has harmed our friendship. Probably ended it, to tell you the truth. She feels that my blog is too much about me, venting my frustrations and wanting people to feel sorry for me...and not enough about my kids and their successes.

So do I stop blogging the real stuff, and just continue with the "Wacky Wednesdays" and the "Out of the Mouths of Babes" posts? Should silly pictures and cute stories make up the entirety of the blog? Really??

I don't think so. And the reason I don't think so are the four other people who put comments on that "Thoughtful Thursday" blog post. The four people who have been in my EXACT shoes and posted supportive comments that made me feel that I'm not a horrible person...and that I am not alone.

So if you enjoy my little blog, welcome along! But if you see things on here that bother you, or upset you, or get you all riled up...please just stop reading. Because, whether you like it or not, I don't blog for you.

I blog for me.

10 comments:

  1. Keep on blogging, I look forward to every post!! I read religiously when you were getting Carson and Molly... you're a great writer and your kids do and say some hilarious things!! I didn't leave a comment on your last post but do thank you for your honesty. It was ensightful and I'm glad you felt comfortable to share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you should blog for you! I have had some blogs that were not "pretty" too. But who cares? The blog is for you, your family, and your memories.

    I just read the post in question and loved it. I felt that same way with our second adoption. Life is MUCH improved now but it was a struggle the first few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A www Teresa---you know I love your blog, been with ya for over two years. And adoption is ugly at times, not always, but sometimes--and don't ya love those who judge us without ever being there??
    Argh:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE reading your blog!!! I love your crazy, funny stories! I can also appreciate the harder side of things; it's not always sunshine and roses in adoption (and parenting in general, for that matter!).

    I agree that you should keep on for yourself and your family. No one (at least that I know) has only happy, funny things happen. Things get thrown at you that are tough; kudos to you for being brave enough to share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delurking from Wales. I read your blog every time you update and I love reading it. I'm a fellow Chinese AP and that's how I found your blog, but I continue to read because I enjoy it. Please don't stop!
    Kate
    www.kes44p.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to tell you I actually appreciated your Thursday raw post because if a mom can't admit that sometimes being a mom is tough then she isn't fit to be a mom and if that woman was negative to you regarding your own personal breakthrough with your daughter then you didn't need her anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said! I love your blog and I am one of those pre-adoptive parents who need to know the "real" stuff! Thanks for sharing your heart, and PLEASE do not stop blogging! Your Meggie is the same age as my daughter and I have to tell ya, when I read your post about prom dress shopping I feel ya girl! And the other day my daughter says to me I found the prettiest prom dress (because alas I did not make it in only one trip, we are STILL searching) and do you know what the dress looked like? Exactly like Meggie's! she was smittened! But when we went to the store, NONE were left and they could not order it in. I did pop over to your blog all giddy and told my daughter "Your not gonna believe this, one of the blogs I love to follow, her daughter's dress I am sure is exactly the same" So I showed her and she said that is SO cool Mom and maybe God had something to do with it! Guess what I am saying is, Don't stop blogging, your posts matter to more than you know! Hugs and have a blessed day!...Still hunting that dress lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew, I thought you were saying goodby. I dont get to leave comments often or even check in weekly, but you bet that I check in at least once a month. So see, you can never stop, I love seeing the kids grown, and cannot wait to see Meggie go off to college.

    Some people are just plain mean!!!!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still read your blog! And love reading the updates on you and the kids!!! Just wish we could get together in "real" life more often!

    **Hugs!**
    -Chelsie, Alan, and Max Wise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too! I love seeing where we've come from and how far we've grown. This IS my personal diary :) and there ARE very real struggles and it's always nice to know the are other Moms who are willing to come along side you and (sometimes) talk you off the ledge :)

    ReplyDelete