Thursday, May 26, 2011

Another Day to be THAT Mom...

Yesterday afternoon, the first graders had a Writers' Workshop Celebration. I had no idea what a Writers' Workshop Celebration was, but I thought I'd surprise Carson by attending. I got to the school a bit early and sat in my van until about five minutes before the event was scheduled to start.

It was the first time I had to wait in a line to check in at the school office...a L-O-N-G line. Apparently, Writers' Workshop Celebration is a BIG deal!

I took a spot in the large crowd...
...and worried I might have trouble locating Carson in the cafeteria! No worries about that. He was heading back to his classroom after his occupational therapy session and, as he and his OT cut through the cafeteria, he spotted me in the crowd. I was SHOCKED he found me so easily and he was SO excited! (I just love that!)

"Mommy?! What are YOU doing here?!" he wanted to know.

When I told him I was there to surprise him, he gave me the biggest hug and told me how happy he was that I came. I told him I was happy I came, too!

I had to peel him off of me (the hugs just kept on coming) and send him to his assigned table.
When I took that picture (Carson is in the red shirt, right in the middle of that shot), I realized I needed to get closer. I looked around...no one else was moving in for better pictures. Oh, well, that can't stop ME...
...and I loved Carson's reaction when I asked him to hold up his portfolio so I could take a picture of it. He was so proud of his hard work!

One of the teachers introduced the Writers' Workshop concept to all of us, then we were asked to go around to the kids, look at their stories, and write something encouraging on their Comment Sheet. Of course, I headed right to my Little Man, read his stories, wrote a comment for him telling him how proud he makes me...
...and took that picture with the camera on my phone. Carson wanted to do a "silly picture"...
...so we handled that (after three blurry attempts) promptly. I then headed around to a few of the kids whose parents couldn't come to the event, read their stories, and wrote encouraging things on their Comment Sheets.

Since I had to get to my class at the University, I had to scoot out of this event early. Carson was fine with that. So, a few more hugs, and I was outta there.

Thank goodness I decided to attend the Writers' Workshop Celebration...gave me another chance to be THAT Mom...

No comments:

Post a Comment