Saturday, December 3, 2011

Adventures in Buster-Land...

In case you were wondering...the transition to having a humongous dog in the house has been incredibly smooth! He is such a sweet and gentle boy that the kids are doing great. Really, really great. And I haven't regretted adding him to our family for even one second!

Even though Buster was crate trained with the family who gave him to us, he seems to be not a big fan of the crate here. Since he was neglected by his very first owners, I'm not surprised he prefers the company of others over being shut up in a crate in an empty bedroom. However, reality is that we must go to work and certainly can't let this big, gangly puppy wander around and break everything in the house.

Wednesday morning (aka Buster's second day in our family), the Littles and I went through our typical morning routine. The very last step was to let Buster out to relieve himself, then Carson ran him up to my bedroom and locked him in the crate with his chew toy. Downstairs in the kitchen, as we gathered our stuff to head out, we could hear Buster loudly barking and rocking the crate. That lasted a few seconds, then there was silence...then Buster happily trotted through the kitchen.

We were flabbergasted!

We went back upstairs and saw that he had UNLOCKED THE CRATE! Having no time to mess around (since I had to get the kids to the bus stop and then head downtown for work), I put Buster back in the crate, relocked it, then closed our bathroom door and the bedroom door. I figured, if he got out again (which I actually kinda expected), at least he would only have one room to demolish.

I got home a few hours later (thankfully, Wednesday was only a half-day), gingerly walked upstairs, opened my bedroom door...and was greeted in the doorway by a very happy puppy. He had escaped AGAIN! I gulped and entered the room, wondering what damage I would find.

First of all, I realized...
...he had spent at least part of the day lounging on our bed. Nothing seemed to be shredded...so I guess I was OK with that. I looked over to see how he had gotten out of the crate and realized he didn't bother with the lock this time...
...he simply busted the side off the crate! But, strangely, nothing was bent in any way. He had somehow busted the side off WITHOUT damaging the crate. Amazing! The one thing in my room that I was actually worried he may damage were the pictures in the very delicate, easy-to-knock-over wooden photo screen...
...but when I looked in the corner of the room, the screen looked undamaged. Of course, Buster had nudged the right side of the screen (probably with his tail), but nothing fell out and no pictures were damaged. The only real damage I could find...
...was here, on the frame of the over-the-door mirror hanging on the bathroom door...
...and (we discovered later that evening) on the doorknob, that apparently Buster thought he might be able to open with his teeth. Considering what he could have damaged (like the textbook I had left on the floor, or the tube of lip gloss on the desk, or the cup of tea sitting on my night stand), I counted my blessings and chuckled. Obviously, after such an active day...
...Buster needed a rest after his quick potty break outside. Not sure I saw any remorse or guilt. But it's OK...
...we not only forgave him for the mess he made, but the Littles snuggled with him on the floor in front of the Christmas tree that evening and they all fell fast asleep.

Daddy purchased a stronger crate Wednesday on his way home from work (and returned the first one, since Buster didn't damage it). We thought it was working...until today, when I had to get my neighbor, Alan, to get Buster out of the crate since Daddy was at work. Goofy dog had gotten the door of the crate (which opens like a garage door) off the track, and I couldn't get it open!

I hope you've enjoyed this little trip through Buster-Land! Something tells me you'll be back for many, many more visits...

1 comment:

  1. I had a dog that would get out of her crate. She liked the crate just did not like the door closed...I would recommend leaving the blinds cracked he will be less likely to chew your things if he can watch what is going on outside.

    ReplyDelete