Well, it took a four-hour appointment (most of it spent waiting, sadly) to let us know that his foot is healed just fine. So, no more big, clunky boot! Yay!!The other purpose of today's appointment was to discuss possible surgery on Carson's left leg, to correct the tibial torsion that has gotten significantly worse in the last six months. While Dr. Tamai seemed very on-board with the surgery, he wanted to get hip x-rays first to check for any damage to Carson's hip sockets. Damaged hip sockets would mean a bigger, more invasive procedure. So, off we went to Radiology.
When we got back into the treatment room, Dr. Tamai was amazed. Despite Carson's extreme in-toeing, he has no visible wear-and-tear in his hips or in his knees. (We both expected to find a ton of it.) That finding changed the surgery discussion. Dramatically.
Because of his multiple joint contractures, Carson's little body doesn't move the way a typical child's does...but he still manages to function. As we discussed the surgery, Dr. Tamai brought up an idea that hadn't occurred to me...Carson may actually lose mobility if we "fix" his crooked feet.
Because Carson's joints are stiffened by the contractures, he doesn't have flexibility in the soles of his feet. Fixing Carson's feet so that they are straight could potentially make it difficult for him to walk...much like if you or I were wearing flippers, for example. With his feet turned inward, his gait is a bit unconventional...but it works for him.
When we first came home from China with Carson, this same surgeon ordered x-rays on Carson's wrists. Because of their appearance and stiffness, Dr. Tamai wondered if possibly Carson had too many bones in his wrists. The x-rays showed just the opposite. Carson is actually missing wrist bones. If it weren't for the contractures in his wrists, he would have much less function in his hands. So, yes, the contractures are actually a blessing.
When I reported the wrist findings to our Sunday School class back in 2008, our teacher (and friend, Chris) brought up the Bible verse about being "fearfully and wonderfully made" and said it was a perfect verse for our Little Man. That stuck in my head and comes back to mind often.In the same way that the contractures help Carson's hand function, the tibial torsion actually helps him walk/run/jump/climb. Who knew that his crooked little feet would be a blessing for him as well?
So the verdict today was watchful waiting. No, we are not ignoring the worsening torsion in his left leg. But as long as he has function and no pain (we think the pain he was having may have been from walking differently to compensate for the hairline fracture in the other foot), then we are just keeping an eye on it for now.The one thing I vowed when we brought Carson home from China was that I was not going to chase rainbows to make him a "normal" child. His legs turn in, his arms don't bend, his hands and fingers are stiff...
...but if you have ever spent five minutes in the presence of this loony Little Man of mine, I guarantee you would have to remind yourself that he has special needs. His bigger-than-life personality overshadows his physical differences to the point that WE often forget he needs help sometimes.So, Little Man, I think you and I should work on memorizing the following verse:
Psalm 139:14, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."




















Wonderful news! I love that verse, it so describes Izzy too! Carson has amazed me from the moment we met him. The Marines have a saying IAO: Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome. That is what your little man does!
ReplyDeleteTrish
As we have alway's known he is fine just the way he is . No improvements needed ! Love Aunt Edna x
ReplyDelete