Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Molly's Surgery is Scheduled!

I guess some might think it odd that I'm a bit excited to announce this, but I just want this surgery to be in the past...I'm sick of worrying about it and can't wait for it to be over!

The surgeon's office called me yesterday as I was driving to work to let me know they had an opening on April 12th and could do Molly's surgery that day. April 12?! So soon! I have a 12-page paper and a PowerPoint presentation due for my Graduate Ethics class on April 13th. I have to teach clinicals on April 15th and 16th. That is kind of a bad week.

BUT...

If I turned down April 12th, they didn't have an opening until July. Decision made!

So I arranged with my professor to turn my paper in early (Yikes! Better get going on that assignment!) and moved my presentation to April 27th. My sister (who is also a pediatric nurse) is arranging her work schedule so she can sit with Molly while I'm teaching clinical that Thursday and Friday. Major issues became minor details that worked themselves out nicely.

Molly and I will actually go to the hospital on Sunday, April 11th. She will have to go through the awful procedure of a bowel clean-out...since the tumors on her spine are so close to her rectum (and don't actually involve her spinal cord at all, thank God!), the Colorectal Team is doing the surgery and need her bowel to be empty.

Never had the pleasure of a bowel clean-out? Well, it will involve the insertion of an NG tube through her nose down into her belly and the infusion of large amounts of Go-Lytely -- which will make her "go heavily" until her bowel is clear. Awful! As a nurse, I have put many a child through this awfulness in preparation for surgery...can't believe I have to help my baby through it now!

So, the countdown begins. It's gonna be a L-O-N-G month of dread...

8 comments:

  1. Praying for Miss Molly and her mommy.

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you guys have to do this! I'll be praying for you, too.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does not sound like much fun. But, when it's all over with, Miss Molly will be better off. I know you can do it. You are a great mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will certainly keep you all in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about being "excited" about the surgery. It's more of a relief to know that it will soon be finished!!! Prayers that everything goes well! Looks like we might not be in China that week... but we'll be there sometime in April!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you and your sister will be there as professional and personal support for Molly. Praying for a successful surgery and speedy recovery! Once this is done, will there be any more surgeries?

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! That does seem soon but it will be worth it! Praying for you as that day approaches. It's never fun to see our children go through something medical but the results are SO worth it! (of course you already know that!) You are such a super mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just surfing in to wish little Molly luck on her surgery. Leila had her de-tethering surgery on March 18, and it took weeks to decide she needed surgery, but I knew in my heart she did. I know all too well the wanting it to just be over. It is now and how quickly these kids re-bound. I'll be thinking and praying about you guys on the 12th!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete