Friday, May 14, 2010

The Great Debate...

Throughout the years in our family, there have been many great debates. Bacon or sausage? Chocolate or vanilla? Paper or plastic? Bikini or one-piece?

Now there is a new debate that is taking over...
...bangs...
...or no bangs?!

My personal belief is "babies need bangs." I said that when Meggie was little and I say it now. Little girls just look so stinkin' cute with bangs on their forehead. Meggie vehemently disagrees.
As a second grader (with bangs, of course) Meggie begged me to let her grow 'em out. I wasn't pleased, but I let her. Turned out OK...she looks awesome with or without bangs. But Molly?? My baby?!?!
Pulling that hair back off her forehead makes her look years older! She's my BABY!! In Meggie's defense, Molly can't keep her hands out of her hair and her bangs always end up shoved to the side anyway. In my defense, Daddy thinks Molly looks better with bangs and doesn't like the change.
None of that really matters. Since Molly is Meggie's little diva-in-training, she wants whatever Meggie wants her to want...so the bangs must go. Bummer!

7 comments:

  1. If you keep the bangs long, then you always have the option of pulling them back in a bow or leaving them down. Gives you more options. I am seriously contemplating cutting Michelle's hair for the summer. It is really thick and is becoming a lot of trouble to keep nice. I can't imagine dealing with it every day at the pool.

    I will send you an email later today about all the July plans. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sorry- but i gotta side with meggie on this one-- she looks way cute without bangs. i've gone back and forth on this with my own cuties-- and i always go to the no bangs side of the fence in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Meggie on this one. You can see so much more of her gorgeous little face without bangs. Molly is such an adorable little girl!
    Ashley Hood, mommy to Addie Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that bangs keep them younger looking longer. But if you are going to grow the hair long then I would go for growing the bangs out while you are at it. And I'm sure the dancing instructor will thank you for the pulled back look! I agree with using more hair bows, etc while they are little. Nothing is sadder than the little 5 year olds looking for all the world like they are 15! BTW--just wanted to say that when my 14 year old Chinese daughter was young and swimming everyday, we used Thermasilk leave on conditioner. I put it on before swimming and after. It really helped with tangles.

    Carolyn (in Las Vegas)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly is cute with and without bangs but after dealing with bangs for so long for my 5 year old, we started growing them out last year and decided with her younger sister to not even start bangs! As Carolyn mentioned, lots of hair accessories can make them still look young even without bangs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well....I almost hate to say it cause I do think her bangs are adorable! But I think she looks terrific without. Maybe you could compromise...keep bangs over the summer and then let them start growing out in the fall? On the other hand...How difficult is it going to be to grow them out? My daughter had soft, curly hair so you really couldn't tell once you shoved it back if she still had bangs or not. But my littlest sister had stick-straight, non-bendy, thick black hair and tucking bangs under a head band made the ends stick up in the air! Maybe you want to do the growing out when she isn't dressing up for school daily? Either way she wears it, she's going to be too darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay....my girls had bangs until last summer. Then we grew them out----by order of Katie. I can't believe the change in their faces!! They look so much older! But it's so much easier to fix hair each day. Bows, headbands, or nothing works just fine. We do the "nothing" when we are home on the weekends since they are both really bad about putting hair behind their ears!

    ReplyDelete