Thursday, January 13, 2011

Five Hints...

The Littles and I spend a lot of time in the minivan. A lot. And they get bored very quickly. So I created a stupid game we call "Five Hints." We take turns giving hints (up to five) until someone guesses the correct Disney character, or superhero, or whatever. It was cute when we started it. Now it mostly gets on my nerves.

To keep myself interested, I typically give hints on the very random and peripheral characters in the movies we endlessly watch...partly to challenge the Littles, partly to make myself feel smarter than them, but mostly to amuse myself when they get aggravated 'cause they don't know the character's name. I know, Mom of the Year.

Yesterday, we were playing "Five Hints" and Carson was giving hints that pointed to the male lead in the movie "Tangled." We haven't seen that movie and I don't know the Rapunzel story well enough to know this dude's name. I was about to give him props for picking one that no one could guess...until Molly blurted out her answer.

"Bob! We'll call him Bob! That's a funny name!" While making up a character's name is against the rules of the game, it struck me as hysterical and gave me a much-needed reason to laugh out loud. (It's been a stressful week.)

I've Googled the movie and know the male lead's name is Flynn Rider. But we may call him "Bob" in our house anyway.

OK, so maybe "Five Hints" isn't completely annoying. Gave me a good laugh yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh - I think most moms have done exactly what you described - started something to entertain their kids that ultimately ends up driving you crazy!

    When you see "Tangled" (and you MUST go see it - it's wonderful!) you will laugh, because even though his name is Flynn Rider, part of the story line is when Rapunzle finds out his real name. And it's not Flynn Rider, it's not Bob either, but something kind of like Bob.

    Your kids are too cute. I enjoy reading about their funny comments and sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a cute game. Ill have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the "Animal guessing game" When our boys were little we made up this game camping. You would pick an animal and everyone would get 1 question to ask you then they could guess the animal based on the answers. So if I was thinking of a ladybug, the questions might be "is it small? does it fly? is it an insect?" Like you this game got on our nerves after a while but it kept the boys happy. Oh...our oldest remembers odd things (he should go on Jeporady) and he would always come up with an animal none of us would ever think of!!

    Hugs,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete