Anyone who has met Molly almost immediately notices her voice. It is high-pitched, squeaky, and cute...in small doses. (Think Minnie Mouse on helium.) Pretty much from the day I met Molly, her voice has been like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears. I'm sorry...I know that sounds awful, but that high-pitched voice of hers (which would be a great cartoon voice, by the way) is hard for me to handle.Last Monday, when Molly met her dance teacher Miss Kathy, I prompted her to introduce herself. So she reached out her hand and said, "Hi, I'm Molly." Miss Kathy (like most everyone who meets Molly) LOVED that sweet, squeaky voice. And commented on it. I agreed that it is cute "in small doses," but whispered that it has always gotten on my nerves. As we were leaving after class, a few of the older girls were gushing over how cute Molly's voice is. I, again, quietly repeated that the voice is cute in small doses, but that it gets on my nerves.
When we got in the car to go home, Molly seemed out of sorts. I asked her what was wrong. Did she not have fun in dance class? No, it wasn't that.
She wanted to know if her voice would ever change. Apparently, she overheard me. And now she wants her voice to change so it won't bother Mommy so much.
Gulp.
Lesson learned: kids will ALWAYS hear what you don't want them to hear. And suddenly her voice doesn't bother me as much as it used to.
(Sigh...)




















oh sweetie that has happened to me with my oldest! I said something to her dad about tsomething I will never repeat again but anyways she over heard me. I felt like the lowest DOG on plant Earth. I took her out just her and me for aome special time togther and of course told her I am so sorry a million times. In time she forgave me but it taught me a a lesson. We parents are still learning too! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteShame on you!! You should feel like a bad Mommy. I am at a loss (well not really!) that you would feel that way. Just how would you feel if your Molly had no voice??!! hmmm??
ReplyDeleteGood you "outted" yourself. Now, don't EVER do that again young lady.
G
:( aww teresa-- we ALL have moments, days, heck, WEEKS- God's grace fortunately covers our mistakes. our kids' pet peeves do get on our nerves! we are human!!! we just need help in channeling it!!! :) hang in there!
ReplyDeleteRule #1 of being a mom : You are going to blow it from time to time.
ReplyDeleteRule #2 of being a mom : If you didn't blow it today, it's probably only by God's grace. And you probably blew it recently, or will soon.
Rule #3 of being a mom : One of the greatest things you can teach your children is you are human, and you need forgiveness just as much as they do.
I think anyone who has been a parent for more than a week can relate to this in one way or another. When my oldest was younger, I used to use my tongue in ways that don't make me proud. And when I was tired or stressed it was even worse. (which is/was most of the time) God had to do some serious work in my life, and I said I was sorry more times than I can remember. A couple of years ago I mentioned something about that time, naming several of the events to Lizzy and telling her how much I regretted a lot of that time in my parenting. And you know what she said? "Mom, what are you talking about?" She had forgotten it - it obviously didn't bother her or hurt her nearly as much as it had bothered and hurt me. So, don't be too hard on yourself. And pray for God just to take that memory from sweet Molly's mind - He is a big God and I believe with all my heart He can do that.