Pastor Brad mentioned that he has a real heart for adoption and wanted to start an adoption ministry at our Church, but needed someone to run it. Oh, yes, I did...I'm the Coordinator of our as-yet-unnamed adoption ministry.
So back in October, I met with Pastor Brad and Jeremy, the leader of our Going Ministries. At that meeting, we mapped out an adoption/foster care/child sponsorship event to occur on the Sunday when Reaching by Adopting was presented.
So, here we are, four months later. The event was yesterday. And it was a flop.
I invited An Orphan's Wish, The Shepherd's Crook, CCAI, and Agape for Youth (a local foster care and adoption agency) to present. I spent MONTHS planning, coordinating, scheduling, meeting. Thank goodness I offered to present for CCAI to save Josh (the founder of the agency) the costs associated with traveling across the country for the event. If he had come and seen the disaster, I would have been mortified.
We had a session at 9:30 called "So You Already Know You Want to Adopt?" where Agape for Youth and CCAI presented. (Well, I presented on behalf of CCAI.) We then had three families in our congregation who have adopted there to tell their stories and field questions. At that session, we had two couples and a single woman attend. I felt it went well and the questions were good...but it was small.
Following the Worship Service, all the presenters had tables in the Ministry Mall. We did get quite a few people who stopped to ask questions and pick up brochures. Then we had lunch (which I organized and which was catered by our dear friend, Jamie, with desserts donated by many of my friends in the Church). Following lunch, all the groups were scheduled to present again, followed by a panel discussion with the three families in our congregation who have adopted.
Lunch went well. The afternoon session? Was attended by one couple and a single woman...and they all had already attended the morning session. When I stepped into the room where the presentations were to occur, my heart sank. It was all I could do not to burst into tears! All my work! All the time I had spent!! For nothing.
For the sake of the families who stuck around, we did the presentation anyway. A few people thanked me for my work...it just felt empty. Why didn't we get a crowd?! I presented for CCAI again -- which was really difficult since I was trying my hardest not to burst into tears -- and the event wound down pretty pathetically.
When we finished, Pastor Brad came directly to me. He shook my hand and put his arm around me, telling me that the event was exactly what he had envisioned. He told me not to be discouraged by the small attendance, that many people had heard the message (presented by Dr. Randy Stinson from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, who did a fabulous job) and that seeds were planted. Many families got information on adoption and child sponsorship that they wouldn't have gotten without this event.
I apologized over and over to the presenters and they were all so sweet and supportive. I felt like a huge loser. How could I have wasted their time?! They are all clearly glass-half-full kinda folks and reminded me of the good that was done and the seeds that were surely planted. In fact, Greg and Kristie from The Shepherd's Crook hooked up with Maureen from An Orphan's Wish and apparently they are working on some sort of deal to get pediatric wheelchairs donated to AOW's orphan care center in China. That's fabulous...but still doesn't make me feel better.
I realize this event wasn't about me. I was doing it because I wanted to further the cause of adoption and child sponsorship. I want to create and nurture this new ministry at our Church...but I don't know what I did wrong. Why did so few people attend?
Pastor Brad told me about a month ago that he expected this seminar to be a home run. I feel like I struck out, big time.
Oh, the best laid plans...




















Teresa,
ReplyDeleteRemember its not about the numbers....you never know what someone in there heard and how it might have changed their life. What they do might change children's lives....and while there weren't hundreds, those couples and the single lady that were there wouldn't have heard the messages if you hadn't planned for months. Remember also, Christ died for all of us but he would have done it if it was for just one. You did a wonderful job! The rest is not up to you but the Holy Spirit. Relax and know that you did what you were called to do!
You never know what kind of seeds were planted!! Hold your head up! It's just like coming to Christ, if you brought one person to Christ with a message it would be a homerun! Also, with this event, if you brought one person to adopt or sponsor a child then that's a homerun. One child at a time, does make a difference!! I am proud of you for doing something and you should be too!
ReplyDeletep.s. I have followed your blog for a long time, as we both adopted from Harrah's or Hefei or both can't remember now. Our blog, although only updated once every month or so is www.thehewgleys.blogspot.com.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree, if 1 of these people adopt or sponsor a foster child, it was all worth it!! Don't get discouraged, even though it's hard, I bet it was fabulous and if I lived close by I would've been there to support you!!!
ReplyDeleteI understand your feelings and would totally feel the same if I had put so much work, thought and prayer into that! HOWEVER, like all the others have said- it just takes 1 for it to all be worth it! YOU GO GIRL for organizing it and pulling it off!!! Hopefully you'll get to see a family formed because of your actions;)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure if was fabulous! You ARE the ultimate coordinator!. Maybe you just needed me for that "creative" portion! ha.
ReplyDeleteIknow how you feel. When my Girl Scout Troop worked HOURS on their Gold Award Project and invited tons of people (you included) and even the public, we were so dissappointed that only a few showed up. We wanted SO MUCH for our message about atrocities to women in other countries to be heard! We were so grateful to those who did show, but were hoping for so much more. I feel your pain.
G
hey girl-- :( i feel your pain-- i've had my ups and downs with HKI-- so i can relate!!!!maybe God had another purpose for you putting this on other than reaching people??
ReplyDeleteYou did what God asked of you. He asked for your best, and you gave it to Him. He doesn’t ask for anything more. I wonder if Moses felt the same way the first few times he had to go chat with Pharaoh??
ReplyDeleteYou served to the best of your ability. And you showed your children how to serve by example! Let God take it from there. I’m proud of you!
I seem to recall an event held at your church back in June, 2005. A VERY tired, jet-lagged family attended to present their story. Dad, Mom, little daughter who just arrived home from China. There were several people there, but it didn't look all that promising to the Mom. The very tired couple forgot the little girl's picture on a table. It was quite a while before they realized it had been left there.
ReplyDeleteFast forward a few years. It seems at least a few families in attendance that day went on to adopt. If I am not mistaken, one family adopted 2 children over the next few years. The tired family adopted again. And again. And I don't think they know if they had any impact. Maybe they will never know.
But it doesn't matter. God knows. He knows their hearts. He knows your heart, too. And He knows the outcome. Teresa, He holds it all in His hands. You did a fine job, Dear Friend.