Friday, April 29, 2011

The Big Wedding...

While most of the English-speaking world is probably obsessed with the wedding of these two lovely young 'uns today...
...that is NOT the wedding that is foremost in my mind this April 29th. My apologies to Aunt Edna, who is from England and adores all things royal, but THIS is the wedding I'm more focused on today...
...the one that occurred on April 29th, 1989! Yes, Kevin and I got married on this date 22 years ago...wow, has it been 22 years??

Little did we know, as we headed up the aisle of that old Catholic Church at the unbelievably young ages of 22 (him) and 20 (me) that we were going to have the crazy whirlwind life we've had.

No, we haven't gone on any extravagant vacations (we rarely vacation, to tell you the truth) or purchased that Jaguar I've always fancied (a minivan is more my style anyway). No, we didn't stay as thin as we were on our wedding day (even though we agreed as newlyweds we wouldn't "lose a hair or gain a pound").

So what HAVE we done?

We had a daughter...who was our only child 'til she was 14. We went to China twice...to adopt two of the smartest, cutest, spunkiest, funniest kids ever born. I've been to College...well, more times than Kevin would like to count, and he's supported me 100% through stenography school (did you know I was a court reporter for a while?), then nursing school, then my Bachelor's degree, and now my Master's degree.

And as a couple, we've laughed WAY more than we've fought.

So, Happy Anniversary, my dear! While a romantic vacation or a week-long cruise somewhere tropical would be a fabulous celebration of our 22 years, I'll happily settle for taking the kids to P.F. Chang's this weekend on the gift card you won at work.

It's way more in our budget anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you both! A lifetime of love is truly worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Very Happy Anniversary to you both . I hope Will and Kate's last's as long . Remember I started all of this ha ha !! Love Aunt Edna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!! I hope you have had a wonderful day!! We hit our 22nd this July.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!! Who needs a royal wedding? Your dress puts Kate's to shame! :P

    ReplyDelete