Monday night, we bribed him. That left tooth HAD to come out! So, we told him if he let Daddy pull that crazy tooth, that he could sleep in our bed. (A very rare treat in this house.) Done!
A few twists (and a bunch of blood later) and it was out!
In the morning, he immediately (well, immediately after giving me time to grab the camera) went digging in the pillows to see what the Tooth Fairy had left him.
But losing a baby tooth reminded me that he is just a regular, seven-year-old boy doing regular, seven-year-old boy stuff. Like skinning his knees. And crushing on cute little girls. And wishing he had a DS. And losing his baby teeth.
In preparation for the meeting, I was asked to compile a list of our hopes for Carson in the future (so the IEP is designed to meet our goals for him, which I liked). My list was:
1. Catch up academically with his peers.
2. Independent in zippers, buttons, and shoe tying.
3. Learn to control his body (i.e., hands to himself).
4. Maintain his confidence and joy for life.
After all, if we reduce him to a list of "can'ts" and he loses the essence of Carson...well, that would just be a shame, wouldn't it?
Have a great rest-of-your-week!




















i LOVE it when they lose those top 2 teeth-- one of my favorite phases-- luke is about to lose his 1st top tooth-- i always take lots of pictures once both are gone- it's such a precious smile!!!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE those missing tooth pic's too! They look so dog-gone cute! As for IEP meetings, just remember those lists are things that Carson can't do YET! Don't forget the YET - he will do those things, he will catch up academically, he will develop all those gross and fine motor skills, he just isn't there YET! And don't let those working with him forget it - you see him as he will someday be (and that's how God views all of us as well - who we will someday become.) I remember at my first IEP meeting, asking those in charge what their "exit strategy" would be. They looked at me like I was speaking in a foreign language. I wanted to know at what point would we know we had achieved success, that Michelle would be finished with speech therapy. I was told they don't think in those terms, that for many children they are never "finished". I refuse to accept that - first, I know my girl and I knew she was going to work hard and excel, and I fully intended (and still intend) for her to reach a point where she is no longer labeled. She will just be herself, not her disability. And it's good to remind those working with her on a regular basis how far she has come and how much I hope and expect for her future. So, don't be discourged - Carson is just not there YET!
ReplyDeleteI love your last goal for Carson - he is such a neat, happy little boy. If you want to go ahead and work out some kind of betrothal for him and Michelle, we would be very agreeable to that. (:
You got that right: Let's talk about what our kids CAN do, not what they can't. And while we're at it, let's talk about what they have already done starting with mastering a whole new language, new culture, new world. . .an entire new life.
ReplyDeleteCan't, indeed.
While we have to touch on the things a kiddo can't do (at the moment), I always make a huge deal about the gains made over the past year when I hold my IEP meetings. What the child can't do becomes the goals for the upcoming year; what the child can do is celebrated.
ReplyDeleteCarson will get there, I'm sure! But I do have to say, if you find the magic trick at keeping his hands off others, please pass it along. I have a seven year old who needs that help!
Hey, I think it says a lot that Midge is willing to betroth Michelle to Carson right NOW, as he is entering the snaggle tooth phase!! Lol! Guess that proves he's cute even with the missig front tooth :)
ReplyDelete