Thursday, May 19, 2011

Reflections on Mother's Day Gifts...

It happens every year. Mother's Day comes and my kids feel like they need to buy me gifts. (Have you ever read Gary Chapman's book, "The Five Love Languages"? I have...and "gifts" is NOT my love language.)

I insist that I don't want gifts. I want to spend time with my kids. I want to take a nap. I would LOVE a foot massage. I treasure the handmade cards the kids make at school. But I don't want gifts.

However, if the kids MUST give me a gift, I beg them...PLEASE don't make it a plant. I am a ruthless plant murderer. (I had so much trouble keeping plants alive when I was newly married, I was honestly afraid to have kids for fear I wouldn't be able to keep them alive either. I am NOT kidding!)

While the kids have stopped asking Daddy to purchase plants for me, teachers still send 'em home. This year was not an exception.
That picture was taken the day those plants arrived. They won't be alive much longer, I fear.

However, I had to laugh when Molly proudly gave me the Mother's Day gift she made at the daycare center she attends in the mornings before Kindergarten.
While still, technically, a plant, I surely can't kill a foam-paper-and-sequin flower with a pipe cleaner stem!

Now THAT is my kind of potted plant!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, they are precious! Now - try to keep them alive!! And now you've got me thinking I need a foot massage :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I love it! I have a black thumb as well.The plant I got for Mothers day is on its death bed!

    ReplyDelete