Yesterday, Meggie and I attended Freshman PREP (Priority Registration Experience Program) at Xavier University. There were lots of speakers and break-out sessions on things like tuition and fees, payment plans, undergraduate course requirements, and residence life.The biggest draw of the day, though, was the afternoon -- when Meggie would get her schedule for the first semester of school and have a face-to-face meeting with the head of the Montessori Education program (her chosen major). At the morning session, the parents were told very clearly that we were NOT to attend that part of the afternoon with our children. My first reaction? But she NEEDS me! I stifled that instinct, choked back the feeling of anxiety, and assured Meggie she could handle it just fine without me.
The meeting with the head of the Montessori Education program was especially important because Meggie needs to convince this woman to accept the credits she earned through the Teacher's Academy program in high school...which would eliminate the need for her to take many of her freshman level Education courses (since they duplicate what she did Senior year in high school). Many universities accept those credits, but Xavier has not historically done so.
Before heading to that afternoon session, though, we went through the Information Fair and saw a familiar face at the Bookstore table...a girl named Jenny that Meggie knows from her years in dance. Meggie was chatting with Jenny and I noticed that the other Bookstore representative was an older guy who was standing alone. I stepped over to chat with him and asked a few questions, one of them being, "Is the Bookstore currently hiring?" He responded that, when he does the schedule, there are many holes that need to be filled and he anticipates needing to hire two or three more people.
When I heard that he handles the schedule, it sounded like he might have some power over the hiring process and suggested he may want to meet my daughter. Meggie stepped over, smiled sweetly, shook his hand, and introduced herself very professionally. They talked for a few minutes and the guy recommended Meggie head to the Bookstore to get an application while we were on campus. Meggie assured him that she would do just that.
As we continued through the Information Fair, we met the representatives from the on-campus bank. Figuring Meggie would want easy access to her checking account, I suggested she open an account there rather than at the bank we use. She thought that was a good idea and took an application form. I stepped back about three feet and told her she should handle that all by herself. She looked a little terrified, but sat at the table and handled herself like...well, like an adult.
Then it was off to the afternoon schedule-and-meeting session for the kids while the parents headed to break-out sessions.
Meggie entered her meeting (from what she tells me, since I wasn't there) with her Teacher's Academy portfolio and her many letters of recommendation already organized. After Meggie presented her portfolio and suggested the acceptance of the credits, the head of the program was completely impressed! She thought Meggie's portfolio was very professionally done and that she presented her position well. While the decision wasn't made final yesterday, it appears that the credits will be accepted by Xavier! (This is HUGE!)
After Meggie got her schedule, we met up at the Bookstore. When she saw me, she excitedly told me about her schedule and the success of her meeting. She also said that, when she entered the Bookstore (a few minutes before I did), she saw Jenny again -- who said that older guy who does the schedule asked her all about Meggie after we left the Information Fair. Meggie got an application and said she would take it home and fill it out. I told her she would be best to fill it out right there on the spot...because the schedule guy would probably write a note on the application about meeting her and it might help her chances to get the job.
She stood at the counter while I browsed around the Bookstore. After filling out the application, she handed it in -- and the scheduler told the clerk who took it from Meggie to stick it in HIS mailbox. Looks like she might have an inside track on a great on-campus job, huh?!
When we got in the van to go home, Meggie told me she felt like she got about 30 years older during Freshman PREP. I told her I thought the same thing...and that she should be proud of how well she is transitioning to adulthood.
I'm certainly enjoying watching the transition...




















Yep - remember, she thinks 30 is OLD! is Evan going to the same school?
ReplyDelete