Monday, November 15, 2010

Pardon Me While I Brag...

I know Meggie accuses me of blogging exclusively about the Littles. I can't help it, folks. The days of putting Meggie's papers/drawings/coloring pages on the refrigerator are well past. However, they are just beginning for Carson and Molly. Plus I think every kid deserves to have someone be their biggest fan. I volunteer for that position for my kids.

Last week at Parent/Teacher conferences, Molly's teacher showed me this picture. (If you click on it, it will enlarge.)
Molly had drawn it to illustrate a story about our family. I looked at it. I presumed it was (from left to right) Carson, Molly, me and Daddy. Looks good. Meggie is missing. Oops! Molly and I are drawn in "girl colors" and the boys are drawn in "boy colors." Daddy and I only have one leg each. We are all smiling. She wrote her name very nicely on the line at the top. Looks good.

Mrs. K couldn't stop giggling. She told me to look at the picture CLOSELY.

That's when I noticed it. Look at our eyes. Molly gave herself and Carson her version of "Chinese eyes." Mrs. K couldn't believe the attention to detail. I was not surprised. That girl is awfully proud of being Chinese. Still, it's pretty stinkin' cute, don't ya think?

The next day, at Carson's IEP meeting, his teacher Mrs. G was very concerned about his reading and writing. While he has come a LONG way, he still has a long way to go. I agreed with her and we discussed strategies. Her biggest concern was that he can't stretch words out (hear them dictated and try to spell them on his own). I had noticed that as well and we tried to figure out what we could do to improve that for him.

The VERY NEXT DAY, I got a note from Mrs. G. It said, "Look what Carson wrote today!" The note was attached to this.
She wrote the sentence he was trying to write at the bottom of the page, but there was no need. I could TOTALLY read his version! Yes, folks, one day after telling me Carson COULDN'T write sentences from dictation, he did it! That'll teach Mrs. G to doubt my Little Man, won't it?!

I also love that his picture has detail in it! Since writing is physically demanding for Carson, he is -- to put it mildly -- a minimalist when it comes to coloring and drawing. But look at that picture! Not only does the person (is that a self-portrait maybe?) have eyes, a nose and a smile, but he has fingers on both hands and stripes on his shirt!! Amazing!

Just wonder why there are no "Chinese eyes" in Carson's picture...

2 comments:

  1. Aww...good job to both of your kiddos! I love both of their pictures. And way-to-go Carson for showing the teacher not to underestimate you! ;) Both of my twins struggled with writing in their earlier years...one because his muscle tone was too tight and the other too loose and floppy. These days, one of them writes better than I do. The other still looks like chicken scratch but he knows how to type like no other!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Carson is so smart and will figure everything he needs to know out for himself.Most kids do their work on a computer now anyway . Love Molly's picture , looking forward to seeing you all at Thanksgiving Aunt Edna

    ReplyDelete