Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Happy 18th Birthday, Meggie!

There is just no way to adequately honor your firstborn on her 18th birthday...believe me, I've tried. I've been typing and retyping this post and just can't get the perfect statement of how much I adore this kid o' mine.

I started off with a stroll down memory lane...
...which, of course, began with her birth on June 22, 1993...
...her first birthday (she wouldn't touch the cake 'cause she hated to be messy, so we smeared it on her face and hands for this picture and then quickly cleaned her up)...
...her second birthday...
...her third birthday (the year of the swing set)...
...her fourth birthday (the beginning of the very long-lived Barbie era in our house)...
...her fifth birthday...
...and her sixth birthday. Wasn't she just a beautiful little girl?!

As I started going through these old pics, it occurred to me that lingering on the years gone by just doesn't give a good enough "picture" of the beautiful person my firstborn has become, both inside and out.
She got the first laugh out of her little brother when she FINALLY became a big sister at the age of 14...
...and has kept him laughing pretty much ever since. Hours after meeting her for the first time...
...she got in her first snuggle with her baby sister. They are both divas and have been thick as thieves from that first moment!While she certainly does her best to aggravate the Littles...
...anyone who has seen Meggie with them can see the love among this trio of silliness. Meggie is always there for their big events...
...like dance recitals and Church Kids Choir performances (even dragging poor Evan along)......and ALWAYS makes them part of her big events. I could, honestly, go on and on...

Meggie, you are my absolute pride and joy. You found your stride in high school and I know you will go on to do amazing things as you head off to College and then on to conquer the big, bad world.

You are beautiful, and smart, and creative, and mature beyond your years...but I'm most proud of the servant's heart that beats within you. I have thanked God every single day for the last 18 years that He placed you in our lives and allowed me to be your Mom.

Happy Birthday, Meggie...with all my love...

5 comments:

  1. Now you've made me cry. Where's my tissues???

    I've known Meggie is a beautiful girl-- inside and out-- for several years. I met her through your blog, and mine, and she's always had a special place in my heart. You've done a wonderful job as a mom to have such a wonderful daughter.

    Happy Birthday, Meggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday meggie!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the pictures and the sweet words. I cannot wait to meet you next month!!!

    Happy, happy birthday to Meggie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy Birthday, Meggie!! You are such a sweet girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm super late but...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete