Every year, I make the kids stand on the front porch for the traditional first day of school pictures. This year was different...no Meggie. Another difference, that actually shocked me when I realized it? It was raining when I woke up on the first day of school and I realized it has NEVER rained (that I can remember anyway) on the first day of school since 1998, when Meggie started Kindergarten. Is that possible?! I found it a bit appropriate that our first back-to-school without Meggie should be rainy and depressing.
But then it cleared up and turned into a gorgeous day. Oh, yay!
As is my typical routine, I just HAVE to pull out the old back-to-school pictures so we can see just how much my kids have changed over the years. I am always amazed.
Molly started preschool...
But wait until you see how much Carson has changed!
My Little Man started Preschool in December of 2007, about a month after returning home from China...
Since Molly's first back-to-school was soon after arriving home from China, we couldn't get her to cooperate for much more than one picture. But last year, she and Carson insisted on getting a picture of them together, which is now a tradition as well. From last year...
Since they are taking the bus every morning (from the day care center), I dropped 'em there...
Molly was super excited...
So how is it going? We've had some issues...they put Molly on the wrong bus home the first day and Carson couldn't convince the lunch ladies to let him buy milk the first two days...but my little troupers are doing great!
Molly said her favorite thing about 1st grade is homework because "homework is awesome!" (Brainwashed, anyone?) Carson's favorite thing? Well, he is at a new school this year and he is super impressed with their "ENORMOUS playground"!
Since Meggie is in the dorms now, we hired Taylor, a neighborhood teenager, to get the Littles off the bus every day. The best part of that deal? She has a twin sister, Lauren, who is willing to be a backup babysitter in case there's a need! (So thankful to my awesome neighbor, Julie, for having twins the appropriate babysitting age!) The Littles LOVE Taylor and they think they are pretty cool since a cute teenager is getting them off the bus, instead of their big sister or their Mom. (Again, the little things...)
Just for this semester, I am working a full-time teaching job, a part-time teaching job, and taking a full Grad school course load, so I am really struggling to get everything done. But the kids have been absolute angels! They are so good at helping Daddy in the evenings (I have class on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, then teach clinicals on Thursday and Friday evenings) and rarely complain about how much Mommy has to "work" in my home office. And honestly none of this would even be remotely possible without my amazing husband, who has stepped right up to help with...well, with everything! Thanks, dear!!
So, we're off! Hoping for a safe and happy school year for everybody out there!




















Great pics. Our girl is from Anhui and we will be celebrating our 5yr gotcha anniversary on Sun. where does the time go?
ReplyDeleteTeresa,
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me but I've been a long time lurker & reader for quite awhile. I'm hoping that everything is okay and that you've not posted simply because you've been so busy!
Gina