Sunday, September 4, 2011

Happy Birthday, Carson!

It is just so annoying...I tell my kids to stop growing up and they totally ignore me! First Meggie aged herself right into adulthood in June and now my Little Man...that cute little dude who stole my heart from the very beginning...has gone and turned eight years old on me!

I know, right?! I mean who doesn't picture Carson and think of this cute little dude?
Well, my chubby baby boy is my baby boy no more. So, rather than pretending he isn't growing older, we decided to celebrate his birthday. (Wasn't that big of us?!) With the economy as it is, I have had to get a bit more creative with gift-giving choices. However, thanks to some second-hand shopping and clearance sales, we were able to give Carson some pretty nice surprises...
...and, while it looks like we're spoiling the lad, the air hockey table was the CHEAPEST of his birthday gifts. (Thanks to my friends, Becky and Jake, for selling it to us second-hand!!)

Kinda wish I hadn't bought him that Fushigi ball. He has been begging for it, but I had no idea it would be so difficult for him to manipulate with his hands. He has decided -- ever the optimist -- to put it on the shelf in his room with his trophies like a collector's item.

The air hockey table was a HUGE hit...
...and was so much fun, we all got distracted playing with it and were late for Church! Oops!

Being a completely overworked and not-quite-as-organized-as-I-want-to-be Mommy right now, I just could not pull together a birthday party for Carson. (Sorry, buddy!) I had the idea, though, to invite a bunch of friends to join us for lunch after Church at Carson's favorite Chinese buffet restaurant. I put the "unofficial" invite on Facebook and was SO surprised at the turnout! Not only did many of our Church friends join us, but so did Evan and his family, and Grandma and Grandpa D!

It took Carson a while to figure out the coincidence of all of these people who love him (and he is greatly loved, trust me!) showing up at the same restaurant at the same time we were there. It was only when people started handing him gifts that he realized -- this was a celebration for him!
I put the "unofficial" invite on Facebook rather late in the week (on purpose), hoping people would come but not have time to purchase a gift, especially since they would have to pay for their own lunch. Some gifts still arrived...
...and Carson was VERY grateful for them! But, honest to goodness, he was way more charged up about all of the awesome people who showed up to celebrate...well, to celebrate HIM! He had his "big guy friends"...
...his "little friends"...
...his "unofficial" sisters...
...a couple of cute cousins...
...Grandma and Grandpa D...
...and, of course, the lucky people who get to live with this charming kid...
...plus others who were lucky enough to escape my camera! Carson was the picture of a wonderful host...going table-to-table thanking everyone individually for coming to his party and for the gifts. I see politics or sales in this boy's future, for sure!

Of course, no birthday is complete without a cake! Our waiter was informed that we had a birthday boy in the crowd and he assured me he had it under control. When it was time, they brought out this "cake"...
...and played a very cheesy version of "Happy Birthday" on the stereo system. Carson didn't care. Huge cake, little cake...it's still for him!
And I have to tell you, without even prompting, he held that pose until my camera cooperated (it's a bit slow and probably needs replacing, honestly). Love that! While he wasn't sure what it was...
...this tassel thing was his birthday gift from the restaurant. He didn't even care that he didn't know what it was for...it was a gift and it's Chinese, so he was thrilled to have it!

Gotta admit, for a Mommy who couldn't pull together a birthday party, this impromptu lunch ended up being a perfect birthday celebration! And while my Little Man is often the first one to bug his sisters...
...I was COMPLETELY touched by Meggie's post on Facebook about her brother earlier this morning:
"8 years ago, a woman had a baby boy. A few days later she gave him up for adoption. Four years later, Carson was the best addition to our family. Happy birthday, Carson!"
I often think of Carson's birth family, especially his birth mother, and wish with every fiber of my being I could show them that he is healthy, he is happy, and he is thriving. Not sure if that would heal the hurt that undoubtedly still lives in their hearts, but I think it might help. Of course, due to the circumstances of his adoption, that will probably never happen.

So I rest in the hope that God hears our prayers for Carson's Chinese family and somehow gives them comfort, especially on his birthday. While the love and gifts Carson received today were amazing and greatly appreciated, he admitted to me that the best gifts he has...
...are a family and a place to call home. Oh, sweet boy, you have no idea what a special gift YOU are to the people lucky enough to know you!

Happy Birthday, Little Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment